It was a loooong Winter, but after months of being stuck in side, Spring has finally arrived in Fort Wayne! And, chances are your apartment might be showing the signs of being cooped up for months. Open the windows and grab the sweeper, it’s spring cleaning time! Although with the warmer temps, no one wants to spend hours cleaning, so here’s 12 awesome hacks to make your Spring cleaning a breeze!
1. Exhaust Fan: Do you have dust settling in your bathroom exhaust fan? Not only can dust make it hard to breathe, it’s also a fire hazard! Use a can of keyboard cleaning air to rid your bathroom fan of dust!
2. Pet Hair: One great thing about Montrose Square Apartments is that it’s a very “pet-friendly” community! If pet hair has taken over your sofa, rubber gloves are the tool for the job! Tim Osborne of Rainbow Furniture store in Fort Wayne shares “you can easily remove pet hair from upholstered furniture with slightly dampened rubber gloves. Run your gloved hand over the surface of your furniture to attract pet hair.”
3. Lampshades: If dust and other debris is collecting on your lampshades, simply rub them with a lint roller, and your lampshades will be as good as new!
4. Shower Heads: To clean your shower head, simply pour white vinegar into a plastic bag and fit it over the shower head. Use a rubber band to tie it into place and leave it for an hour. After an hour, remove the bag, and wipe it dry with a paper towel.
5. Cutting Board: Over time your cutting board can become a breeding ground for bacteria! You certainly don’t want to clean it with harmful chemicals. For an organic, all natural cleaning agent, sprinkle some kosher salt onto your cutting board, then rub it clean with a lemon.
6. Microwave: Looking for another use for lemons? Well you’ve got one! Cleaning the microwave can be a (for lack of a better word) ICKY task. Fill a microwave safe bowl with half a cup of water. Then cut a lemon in half. Squeeze the juice from both halves into the bowl, then drop the peel in there too. Microwave for three minutes. After the three minutes is up, leave the microwave door closed for five minutes. The steam from the water will loosen the stubborn gunk stuck on the inside of your microwave.
7. Dusting: Use coffee filters to clear dust away from windows, TVs and more!
8. Refrigerator: Got a smelly fridge? Throw a ball of newspaper in there, and it will absorb the smell!
9. Water Rings: Has someone in your house not been using a coaster? Get stubborn water rings out of coffee tables with a blow dryer! Simply run the blow dryer on high for a few minutes, pointed at the ring. After a few minutes it should start to disappear. Once it’s gone, you can recondition the wood using olive oil.
10. Ceiling Fan: Dusty ceiling fan? Use an old pillowcase to trap the dust. Simply enclose one blade at a time into the pillowcase and wipe backward. Wah-la, clean blades without spreading the dust!
11. Coffee Pots: After a while, coffee pots can become stained. Remove coffee stains from inside a coffee pot by adding 1 tablespoon of water, 4 teaspoons of salt, and a cup of crushed ice. Gently swirl the coffee pot until it’s clean, then rinse.
12. Mattress: And last, but certainly not least: If your mattress is starting to smell, pour vodka in a spray bottle and lightly spritz each side of your mattress. This will kill any odor causing bacteria.
Now that your apartment is spic and span, get out their and enjoy the warmer temps! There’s plenty of fun surrounding awaiting you at Montrose Square Apartments.
Do you have any cleaning hacks to share? We’d love to hear them. Post them in the comments below!