How to Rent an Apartment: A Guide for New Renters
Renting your first apartment may seem like an overwhelming task, especially for first time renters! Fortunately, at Montrose Square Apartments in Fort Wayne,we are seasoned pros! If you’re renting an apartment and you don’t know where to start, follow this step-by-step guide to renting an apartment!
1. Find the Perfect Apartment
I know what you’re thinking – deciding on the perfect apartment is much easier said than done! Start by making a list of everything that you are looking for in an apartment; things like location,affordability, amenities, a pet-friendly community, and more. Also decided how many bedrooms you will need – a studio apartment, 1 bedroom, or 2 bedroom apartment, and how many bathrooms you’ll need.Check out our list of the Top 5 Things to Look for in an apartment.
Once you know what you are looking for, then it’s time to begin looking at apartments. Fortunately, there are plenty of resources out thereto help you find the perfect apartment that will best fit you and your needs!
- Fort Wayne Apartment Guide gives you a summary of all available apartments in Fort Wayne, including prices, floor plans, amenities, and everything you need to know!
- Yelp also gives you a list of apartments, along with helpful reviews written by current or former residents!
- Apartment Association of Fort Wayne allows you to find the perfect apartment by entering exactly what you’re looking for. They’ll search all Fort Wayne apartments and give you a list of communities that meet your criteria.
- Google. Do a Google search for “apartments in Fort Wayne” and see what you come up with. The map tool comes in handy to find apartments in the area of town you want to live.
Once you’ve narrowed it down to a handful of apartments, visit their websites and see what they have to offer as far as amenities and features. Take a look at their online tours, floor plans, rents and fees, to make sure that it will fit into your budget.
Now that you’ve narrowed it down even further, contact the apartment community to schedule an on-site tour to check out the community and the apartments in person and to meet the staff.
2. Fill out the Application
Once you decide on the perfect apartment, the next step is applying for the apartment. This sounds intimidating, but it’s really not. Most apartment communities will simply have you fill out an application that includes questions about your marital status,previous places of residence, income, etc.
Along with the rental application, you will also usually be asked to pay an application fee. However, the application fee is usually pretty small, between$20-$40.
3. Move In!
Now that you’ve been accepted into the apartment community, it’s time to move in! Upon move-in, you will usually be asked to pay a security deposit, along with the first month’s rent. If you have any pets, they may also ask for a small pet deposit.
Here are some other things that you will probably need to do before move-in:
- Get Renter’s Insurance
- Turn on Utilities
- Change Your Address via the Post office. Be sure to notify your bank, cell phone provider, cable/internet company, and anyone else of importance.
If this sound’s intimidating, don’t worry! Most apartment communities have a friendly, knowledgeable staff that will gladly walk you through the move-in process, and tell you everything you need to know!
While you’re doing your apartment search, be sure to check out Montrose Square Apartments. Our Fort Wayne apartment community is located on the North side, close to schools, shopping, and entertainment. Give us a call today at (260) 485-3475 to schedule an apartment tour!